Recruit Testing Process
Text “JOINFWPD” to 260-233-9850
Applicant MUST contact a recruiter to begin application process
Complete Application for Employment
Applicant must complete an application for the position after texting JoinFWPD to 260-233-9850.
Link: Applications are currently closed. Applications for our 69th Basic Recruit class will be open March 1 – May 31, 2024.
I Interested candidates may follow employment postings at https://www.cityoffortwayne.org/jobs-with-the-city.html, www.joinfwpd.org, www.fwpd.org, on Facebook, and Twitter @FortWaynePolice and @FWPDRecruiting.
- 68th Basic Written Test Saturday, July 15th, 2023. Check-In @ 0820, test begins at 0900 and ends at 1200 hrs. Location TBA.
- There will be an optional practice fitness test at the Public Safety Academy, 7602 Patriot Crossing Fort Wayne, IN. 46816, at 1300 hrs (1:00 PM). Please wear athletic attire and dress for the weather.
- All dates and times for the 68th Basic Class test/pre-employment screening are subject to change.
Candidates begin the process by completing the standard written test. This test will be at a location in Fort Wayne Indiana and provided to applicants prior to the test date via email from email@example.com and via texting. Candidates should add the email address to their contact lists to avoid the email going to their spam folders.
Reading Comprehension Manual
Candidates must study this guide for at least two weeks prior to their test dates. There will be twenty questions on the exam which draw directly from this Reading Manual. Click here to access the Reading Comprehension Manual: https://fpsi.com/docs/National-Police-Select-Test-Reading-Comprehension-Manual.pdf
Candidate Orientation Guide (optional)
Applicants may order the “NPST-R Candidate Orientation Guide” by clicking here: https://www.fpsi.com/product/npst-r-candidate-orientation-guide/. The guide will cover the whole test which will include the practice test questions.
The NPST_R Candidate Orientation Guide can be downloaded as a PDF file and saved or printed. Please read through the disclaimer page in order to have a successful download. There will be an option to pay with a PayPal account or as a PayPal guest with a debit/credit card. The download link will be located on the Order Details-Checkout Status page once payment is submitted and PayPal redirects the process back to the FPSI site.
Applicants must pay close attention to ALL instructions on both FPSI and PayPal’s websites in order to download any guide properly.
- 68th Basic Fitness Test Friday, August 11th, 2023. Applicants will be scheduled for specific times.
- The fitness test will be held at the Public Safety Academy, 7602 Patriot Crossing, Fort Wayne, IN. 46816.
The fitness test will take place at the Fort Wayne Police Academy, 7602 Patriot Crossing, Fort Wayne IN 46816. Portions of the fitness test will be conducted outside, and candidates should dress for the weather.
- Vertical Jump of 14”
- 25 Sit-Ups in 1 minute
- 300 Meter Sprint in 82 seconds or less
- 21 Push-Ups
- 1.5 mile run in 17:30 or less
*4-minute break is provided between the 300-meter sprint and 21 push-ups.
Exit Standards from Academy
- Vertical Jump of 16”
- 29 Sit-Ups in 1 minute
- 300 Meter Sprint in 71 seconds or less
- 25 Push-Ups
- 1.5 mile run in 16:28 or less
Candidates will receive the time and date of their fitness test after passing the written test. This information will be received via email by firstname.lastname@example.org.
RESOURCES TO PREPARE:
- 68th Basic Interviews will be conducted between August 15, 2023 – August 18, 2023. Applicants will be scheduled for specific times.
Candidates will participate in a formal oral interview with a panel comprised of Officers and Command Staff of the Fort Wayne Police Department. This is a professional interview and candidates are encouraged to dress professionally.
Location: Fort Wayne Police Academy, 7602 Patriot Crossing, Fort Wayne IN 46816.
- 68th Basic Background Investigations & Voice Stress Tests will take place between August 18, 2023 – September 15, 2023.
Background Investigation & Voice Stress Test
Candidates will complete a thorough background investigation, submitting information to their background investigator for review online. Candidates will complete a voice stress analysis to determine truthfulness in the following areas: criminal history, drug usage, morality, and honesty.
- 68th Basic psychological testing and interview will take place between September 25, 2023 – September 27, 2023.
- Physicals will be conducted between October 9, 2023 – October 13, 2023.
Psychological Testing, Interview & Physical
Candidates will complete a psychological test, interview, and physical during this stage of testing. Testing will be conducted at a location in Indianapolis, IN. Applicants will be responsible for paying ½ (half) of the cost of the physical at the time of appointment. Only debit or credit cards may be used to make payments. The company will not process insurance. The applicant’s cost is approximately $530 and is subject to change.
Candidates should keep their receipt. Applicants who are hired and successfully complete their 1st year of employment can be reimbursed for the cost of the physical.
- 68th Basic Board of Public Safety Interviews will be conducted between December 5, 2023 – December 7, 2023.
Board of Public Safety Interview
Applicants will participate in an interview with the Board of Public Safety. This is a professional interview and applicants should dress appropriately.
- 68th Basic Class selected candidates will attend the Academy Orientation on January 2nd, 2024.
- The 68th Basic Academy begins January 15th, 2024.
- 68th Basic Graduation potential graduation date June 21st, 2024.
Candidates who pass all stages and are accepted move on to the Academy. The academy is 23 weeks and will prepare the candidate for a career in law enforcement. Those who successfully complete the academy will be sworn in as Law Enforcement Officers and advance to 6 months of Field Training.
It is the policy of the City of Fort Wayne to assure equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or Veteran’s status.